Monday, April 23, 2007

CHAPTER 4.5

Not much new to report in the wonderful world of Booch. I've been getting some work done with my Grey's Anatomy script, while mixing in some revisions on my FF pilot. I also managed to color 10 pages this weekend... not bad if I do say so myself.

Yesterday afternoon, after realizing that I had been in the house for 40 straight hours, I decided to hunt down Season three of The Wire. I say hunt down because I did not want to pay the $99.00 sticker price for the box set. After a good half hour I found a copy at this cool video store called Cinefile. They have a lot of out of print and rare movies... the kind of stuff only real film snobs can get into. In spite of that it's still a cool store... I like the fact that they have sections divided by director instead of movie title. Anyway, they had a new copy on sale for 40 bucks, so I bought it. They also had season 2 for 30 bucks, but I decided against dropping 80 bucks in one shot. I have seasone 1 and I'm not a huge fan of season 2. So even so the completist in me hates the idea of having a whole in my collection... I'm trying to deal.

As far as my Grey's spec... I've got my A,B,C and D stories thought up, and I am trying to unify them with my theme. For those that have seen GA, the main character has bookend voice overs where she summarizes the theme of the episode. I think my theme is that there is no point having regret because you can't change the past. You can only use the wisdom you've hopefully acquired to make better decisions in the future.

Here's the VO I have been messing around with...

MEREDITH OPENING VO: "What is it with this fixation with regret? You’ve heard all the catchy little phrases… If I knew then what I know now… hindsight is 20/20…. If I could do it all over again… We are constantly looking back. Wishing we could undo our mistakes as if somehow that would allow us to live happily ever after. Somehow I doubt it.. but still, I could use a couple do overs..."

If anyone wants to offer some suggests to this work in progress... by all means FIRE AWAY! Tomorrow I will give you guys my CLOSING Meredith voice over.

And now for the feature presentation...


CHAPTER 4.5

With Edwin safely out of earshot, the topic returns to Mae's computer. Danny sits down and turns the computer on, this time with it plugged in.

“I might as well check it out while I'm here.”

“By all means.” Mae replies.

“And don't worry I'll make something up for my report.”

“I really appreciate it.”

Mae finds this benevolence very alluring. So much so, that her eyes are glued to him while he performs several mundane computer-related functions. Joan too looks on as though he was engaged in something far more interesting. Danny does his duty, oblivious to the two women casting shadows of desire upon him.

During this quiet moment, Mae realizes, as though it is a revelation and not already obvious, that Joan is also interested in Danny. This sparks the suppressed competitive nature deep inside her, and for a moment she dislikes everything about her good friend Joan. The many hours they've spent together, the tears shared, the deep dark secrets revealed all evaporate in the heat of her jealousy. Those feelings are replaced by contempt for her morally vague, sexually active friend, who likely will seduce Danny and tarnish him forever. These feelings, while shallow and fleeting, reveal something much more meaningful. Mae Arden, the poster child of the don't mix business with pleasure rule, is undeniably attracted to Danny. And despite her own self imposed barriers, she is overcome with jealousy at the idea of Joan and Danny getting together.

In the three minutes it takes Danny to issue the computer a clean bill of health, Mae goes from intrigued, to lustful, to contemptuous, to jealous, to finally guilt -ridden. Mae is a bright girl, so it doesn't take long to recognize that the negative thoughts parading through her head are both ridiculous and selfish. There is no way on God's green earth that she would dare to date a fellow employee. Such things complicate the work environment and often lead to quitting, when the company fling inevitably goes sour. Besides, the odds of Danny even noticing her with Joan around are very slim. Not that it matters anyway, she reasons, since she doesn't date at the workplace. After a few more volleys back and forth, Mae gets a grip on herself and ends the one hundred and eighty second mental episode.

Joan spends the same three minutes plotting a strategy that will best ensnare Danny. Using positive visualization, she plays out every little nuance of the evening, from the first small talk, through their inevitable sexual encounter. Not the most imaginative gal on the planet, she calls upon on a three year old memory, substituting Danny for the guy whose name she can no longer remember. Of course, Danny responds in the same fashion as the nameless guy who fell for her seduction hook, line and sinker. Joan's romantic self amends the ending so that their simultaneous orgasms take place on her waterbed rather than in the cramped men's bathroom stall of McHale's Pub. She also omits the part when a woman claiming to be the nameless gentleman's girlfriend barged in and attacked them with a hairbrush.

Danny's departure is swift and without fanfare. After assuring Mae for the third time that her plug blunder will remain their secret, he goes on his merry way. Joan waits exactly sixty seconds (she times herself using the trusty Mississippi method) before asking Mae what she thinks of Danny. Mae manufactures some nonchalance, claiming she didn't really notice him, then changes the subject. Nonetheless, Joan continues verbalizing her thoughts on Danny.

“He seemed really nice.”

“I guess.”

“I thought he was kinda hot.”

“Really? I didn't notice.”

“I did. You wanna go with me to that thing tonight?”

“I can't. I've got to get that report to Allan before he goes ballistic.” Mae takes another stab at changing the subject, not wishing to ride that emotional roller coaster again.

“I wonder how big his cock is?”

“Damn. Printer's out of paper. Be right back.” Mae gets up and leaves Joan to her naughty thoughts. She doesn't want to hear them. Not that it matters, she tells herself, Danny is a dead issue as far as she is concerned. Mae doesn't mix business with pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment